Understanding Trademark Law Protections

3 Things To Do If You Need A Raise In Child Support Payments

When you initially go through the process of determining a fair child support arrangement with your child's other parent, you may be perfectly happy at that time with the amount you are to receive. However, finances change with time and so do the needs of your child. Therefore, it is not at all uncommon to come to a point in raising your child that you feel you need more financial help from the other parent. Obtaining a raise in child support payments is something you should do through family court. Here are a few things you will need to do before you file for more child support. 

Collect proof of your own financial situation. 

The family law judge will need to take a look at your personal finances to see why it is you are struggling with the amount of child support you currently get from the other parent. Therefore, it is best to gather documents that prove your own financial state before you file for a raise. Some of the things you should gather include:

  • Proof of income, such as wage statements or pay stubs
  • Proof of the costs of housing the child, such as a rental contract, utility bills, or home insurance
  • Proof of medical expenses for you and your child 

Additionally, you should collect bank statements to show how much you have in your savings or checking accounts. Having all of this on hand when you file for a child support will help along the process. 

Collect proof your child support needs have changed. 

Perhaps your child was diagnosed with a medical condition that means you have to work less, or maybe your child needs specific items relative to their education that they didn't need before. Whatever has changed since the last time your child support payment was figured, make sure you have some form of proof to show your attorney. 

Collect proof or identify that the other parent is making more money. 

Because child support is determined based on the needs of the child and the levels of income of both the parents, if the noncustodial parent begins making a higher income, the child should logically get more of that income. If your co-parent has recently changed jobs or had a significant raise in how much money they are making, try to identify this fact before applying for a raise. The family court will go through the process of obtaining proof of income if you can give reliable input that you believe it has changed. 

For more guidance in adjusting child support payments, contact an attorney at firms like Armstrong Betker and Schaeffer PLC.

About Me

Understanding Trademark Law Protections

Welcome, I'm Darby Church. I'd like to share my journey from retail manager to business owner using this website. My attempts to start a business of my own were complicated by the actions of an unethical party. In short, I shared too much information about my products and they were stolen before I could get the business off the ground. Luckily, I had already filed a trademark for those items, which meant they were protected by the law. I still had to hire a lawyer to help me win the case. I took the complaint to court to end the run of products from my unlawful competitor, so I could start running my business. The process enlightened me about the ins and outs of trademark law. I hope my experience can help you avoid the same pitfalls or fight for your products with help from a lawyer. Thanks for visiting.